Hi Antony, I have something I would be interested in you addressing... After working extensively on my lower body mobility I have decided to make the shift from weightlifting shoes to nanos.
Is there any actually physiological reason why it would be better to go either may? Also would lifting in nanos transfer better to other movement patterns such as sprinting and jumping?
or is this totaly irrelevent and Im over thinking it? haha
Thanks. I really enjoy following you, all the way from the Great White North.
Hi Lucas [Calm down, it's not Lucas Parker!]. Thanks for the kind words and the questions 🙂
Firstly, do you CrossFit or just weightlifting? Because if you just do weightlifting, it is a specialised sport and the shoes go with that. They give you an advantage in that you don't need as much ankle dorsiflexion to reach essentially the same positions. They also provide a very stable platform on which you can catch weights more easily.
If you muck around in weightlifting and train for other things as well or if you do CrossFit, the I personally think 80-90% of your training should be in Nanos of something similar.
1. Nanos mean you have to have more ankle flexibility. I have never thought "you have too much ankle flexibility", just "you need stronger ankles." Most of the time I think "you need more ankle flexibility" which is what oly shoes address.
2. If you CrossFit, you don't want heavy shoes when trying to finish 100 pull-ups or toes to bar. That's not a problem if you only throw a barbell around
3. Would you normally walk around in Nanos or WL shoes when not training? Exactly
4. It is harder to clean and snatch with Nanos on...kinda like putting a weight-vest on for pull-ups. So when you do actually use your special shoes, you will feel like superman. Make sure that you train for at least a week in WL shoes before an important meet for WL.
5. As you mention, Nanos will transfer into other sports much easier... although I am not sure what shoes you use to get around the snow and ice in Canadia land 😉
Keep an eye out for Brent Fikowski. He is a chance for Canada West and would love to see him get to the Games 😉
if you have any questions that you want answered, just ask them by posting on my Facebook page "The Physio Detective" or any other social media.
Please leave your opinions and questions below