Your diet is simply what you habitually eat. Unfortunately, people think about losing weight.
This year, I have given up on worrying about the weight because if I am fit and healthy and strong AND I eat the things that I am NOT allergic to, I should be ok 🙂
My friend Dave (the physio from Canberra) - he put me onto Paleo. The best way I can describe Paelo is to eat meat and green vegies, nuts and seeds. I am sure there is a better definition but I figure I will keep it simple - Eat stuff that isn't processed! The other thing is to avoid grains - wheat, rice, etc etc. Basically it is a low carb diet.
The second eating style I am looking at is recommended by the Crossfit mob - Zone. You can read their article here. This balances the carbs, fats and protein into a 40%, 30%, 30% breakdown.I kid you not, you DO NOT go hungry.
What I think
Basically Paleo is easy for me - I love my roast and BBQ meat and salad or green vegies - no thinking, just eat. I am sure I am supposed to watch my portion control but that's ok. I will get there 🙂
Unfortunately, gout+paleo = pain if I overdo the meat...
The Zone eating style is more balanced but I am finding it hard to prepare all the food I need to have. However, I have seen it work on one of the girls down that the CFX gym - she is looking great!
Conclusions from my reading...
1. Eat meat and veggies - but not too much meat or my gout will play up
2. Nuts and seeds are ok
3. Grains can possibly cause inflammation in your system and possibly even in your joints
4. Fructose is evil - that is research proven. Sugar is half fructose...therefore sugar is evil too!
5. Fruit has fructose as well so limit it to 2 pieces per day as it has good stuff in it too
6. Fruit juice doesn't compare to real fruit - ignore the advertising and get the real thing!