I had to be a brick layer's labourer today, so I took a few minutes to film some tips on how to take care of your back.
Back saving tips:
- Use a lunge position so you can transfer your weight easily and widen your base of support
- Bend from your hips, not your back - the hip and leg muscles are far bigger and stronger than your back muscles
- Switch sides regularly to share the load around
- Keep your back straight when bending and lifting
- Try not to reach out too far with a load in your hands - it increases the torque (force and strain) on your back significantly.